Sunday 13 March 2011

Community Clean Up Heaven!

If I write another book, it might be called 'Theology of the rolled up sleeves!'. This because I love it when people of God demonstrate their faith in practical ways.

On Saturday, a group of us worked alongside the local council to have a community clean up. 9 of us litter picked, tidied, gardened and generally tried to improve the area around Desmond Tutu House.

The difference we made was striking, and we were rewarded with some fabulous home cooked samozas from one of the neighbours! All this is in preparation for 'The Big Lunch', a national programme organised by the Eden Project, an attempt to help build community among neighbours. This is especially important in communities broken by poverty, addiction and mobile populations.

It is never easy and I don't want to be simplistic, but on Saturday, I felt we have got somewhere. For me, Liberation Theology is not looking critically at the world and complaining about the problems. Liberation Theology asks us to 'role up our sleeves' and make change happen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! Though I wouldn't call it liberation theology but simply applied theology.

    ReplyDelete