Tuesday 14 June 2011

The Lemon Tree

I just watched Eran Riklis' 2008 hit film 'The Lemon Tree' and needed to share my despair. Yes, it is a great movie, the story of a Palestinian widow going through the courts to protect her lemon grove from destruction after the a government minister moves next door. But no, I didn't enjoy it.

The wall wins, eventually the film climaxes with an Israeli and a Palestinian separated by a huge wall, and 150 lemon trees cut down to the stumps, so that the Israeli defence chief does not have to worry about 'terrorist' snipers using the lemon grove of his neighbour for cover.

This terrible, hopeless ending brought me to tears, and reflected back to me a terrible day, where walls seem to be springing up all over the place. Walls and separation are a reality of this world. I hope though, that history is on the side of those who eventually tear the walls down.

No comments:

Post a Comment